Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 30 Exactly What I Hoped For When I Started Blogging

So this is twice in the last week that I have made a "these posts spoke to me" post in another blog. I got the nod in Christine's blog today. I gotta tell ya, I loves me some Christine. She is totally willing to hold my feet to the fire and make me tell her my menu for the day if she thinks I have somehow slipped or slacked. She is someone I admire very much for her journey and her attitude. So for someone like her to have taken something from my blog, it seriously is an honor. It is exactly what I was shooting for when I started this thing up.

I am not sure what my deal was today, but I was in such a great mood! I was nailing my eating, hit the road early this morning for a mile and a half walk, got the washer taken apart only to find out that it died, cleaned the garage, changed Kathy's oil in her car and grilled some tilapia on the grill for supper. I did have a worthless period from around 1:30 to 3:30 but I had that coming maybe? I dunno. So anyway, the snacking urge just wasn't there, and I went grocery shopping, so that is amazing. Anyone else ever have that situation? You went shopping and one of your purchases so appealed to you that you couldn't wait to get home and finish all of it!!! I used to rush to get home with great excitement for that purchase to "get in my belly!!". I am seriously so proud of how, in just one short month, my attitudes have changed so drastically regarding food. I still have to think about it more than I like, but stopping myself from eating on a whim is pretty easy now. I just use the 'pomp and circumstance" method and voila!

So on to the menu for the day (just for Christine's benefit, so she don't hassle me!):

I had two fried eggs and 3/4 cup of cereal and 2 percent milk, a handful of grapes and half a banana for breakfast (375 calories) and then for a snack about mid morning I finished the banana (50 calories). For lunch, I met Kathy and Lauren at Firehouse Subs and I had the medium cornbeef sandwich, held both the cheese and mayo and came in at 425 calories for the sandwich. I was not all that hungry but I still had some tuna with dill relish and spicy brown mustard for a snack because I am still sore from working out and walking so much lately and I want some muscle rebuilt dang it! The tuna set me back 110 calories and was yummy! So after doing the garage cleaning and oil changing, I set to cooking Kathy, Lauren and me some tilapia on the grill, 100 calories per filet, and Kathy nuked some french cut green beans and boiled a bag of brown rice. Our total supper was a wonderful 340 calories and so dang filling it was surprising!! So while at the store today I bought some plums on a whim for a snack to try and keep the fruit coming. I was so frikkin excited to find out that those bad boys are only 30 calories! So I am now sitting at 1360 of my allowed 1800 calories and the only thing I am interested in eating tonight is maybe some of my yogurt, which will be 80 calories so I most likely will wind up at around 1440 calories for the day, well shy of my 1800 calorie bank!

I was talking to someone today that I saw at the store I used to work at and they asked what I was doing to lose weight. I told them about the calorie bank and explained how limiting your calories makes you start to make good choices rather than eat the crap that has terrible calorie to filling ratio and how if you want to not starve on this diet, you begin to make those changes. They totally got it too! I have told many in the cyber world about my joy in doing this, but that was the first person I talked to personally who took it to heart and I hope to keep spreading the gospel IRL. I am so excited and I just can't hide it!

Ok, I gotta get off here and do some crunches dang it! I switched around my routine by walking this morning, so I gotta do some weight training! I am also gonna troll around and see what bloggers inspire me. I wish I was able to keep up with them and do one of those posts I have been a part of twice now! I need to keep a notebook close by to write those down! So until I see you again, keep on inspiring me and I will try to start writing down when you do.... oh and I will try to do the same for you!!!




6 comments:

  1. Awesome job Shane! The food sounds great. I have to admit there were times where I went to the store and didn't even make it home before I had various crap opened and eaten. For 1 thing, I just couldn't seem to wait and another, didn't want hubbie or kids seeing me eating crap. Guilt, shame, etc. Isn't it WON-DER-FUL to let go of all that??

    I too am a fruit junkie. I freakin love all of it. Most of my carbs are fruit. Try the pluot. A plum mixed with apricot. AWESOME! Also, if you like pineapple, buy the canned in juice. I dole (ha ha) mine out in 1/2 cup or 1 cup containers and stick it in the freezer. HAPPINESS is a pineapple slushie dessert or snack. YOU are inspiring me to do better and better. Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you had a great day!I am so with you on the "Calorie Bank"...except that being on Weight Watchers I count points instead of calories. But it's the same in that I always tell people it's like learning to live within a budget. I have so many points a day to spend on whatever I want and it causes me to make better food choices to get the most bang for my buck.

    Congratulations on another great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shane! That was so nice of you to give me a shout-out. It's much appreciated, and honestly, your blog has made it to the top of my "must read" list. I have the blogs I follow put into three categories, and I try to read as many as I can throughout the day. Your blog is literally blog #2, just after Sean's. :-)

    Your eating today is stellar! Tons of protein yesterday, which is great! Do you find that the protein really helps to curb those feelings of being hungry? You also got a few really good starches in there (cereal and brown rice. I'll let the sandwich bread pass...for now! ha!) and some dairy (milk, yogurt) and fruit (plums and banana and grapes) and some veggies too! And after all that wonderful eating, you have a 400 calorie deficit! Do that for a few days in a row, and you'll see yet another 11 pound weight loss on the scale this week. That's wonderful!

    You know what struck me about your post today? You: fixed the washer (kinda), changed your wife's oil, got a walk in, AND went grocery shopping??? Oh, I wish my husband was so motivated! I love my hubby dearly, but he is really lazy. He's never changed my car oil EVER. If the washer is broken, *I* fix it. Our tv cabinet? *I* made that. I need new license plates on my car, and after work today *I* will put them on. SIGH.

    Your wife is LUCKY. I hope she knows that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day you had! Good food choices, exercise, and honeydo's accomplished.

    Your excitement is contagious. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is great that you can explain it to people so that they get it. Everytime someone asks me what diet I am on, I try to explain that it is about calories in vs. calories out. This usually get a response like, "But have you tried the pomegranate diet?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ Mme Cur!! Hilarious (and so true!)

    ReplyDelete