Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 27 Wisdom From a Strange Place

I finally got settled down from the excitement of such a great weigh day. I was just ecstatic all day Friday, and it lasted till bed time, which was even later than usual. I know the next weigh day is not going to be as big a weight loss, I am fully braced for that already. I am just going to keep being consistent like I have been, keeping my activity level up and know that even if the number is smaller, I am not defined by that. There are so many benefits to this new lifestyle that if a number were the only goal I had, I may be in trouble. I would be one heck of a short sighted guy then. I have been that short sighted guy in the past. I am now the guy that sees a much bigger picture. I notice how my back doesn't hurt when I walk for more than 5 minutes, I notice how my shirt, it doesn't cling to me like it used to, I notice that when I go to get up out of my recliner, it isn't nearly the production it used to be, but most of all I notice my smile. It is around alot more than even before. I have always been a happy positive person, but I wonder if Kathy isn't about to hit me in the head for my overly high positive attitude and good mood here lately. I would understand if she was a little annoyed. But dang it, I am happy to see all these things happening, to take them in and enjoy them, knowing that it is only the beginning!

So on to the title. I will probably get blasted over this, and I will take it cause I would do it probably too. But anyway, today I took Lauren to meet Jason and his girls and we all went bowling. Well on the way, I agreed to cede control of the radio to Lauren who promptly chose the soundtrack to that Hanna Montana Movie. Well it has one song on it called "The Climb". I have "heard it" before but never listened to it. I have to say it has a message I took to heart today. One of the lyrics is "there's always gonna be another mountain, always gonna wanna make it move". That is true of this journey. It is not a walk along a white sand beach with waves washing along the shore. It is a hike up the frikkin' Rocky Mountains! There is not only the physical part of the journey, but the mental, much like if you were hiking through the Rockies. It isn't just about climbing the face of the mountain, it is about being confident and sure of your ability to do so. So the song goes on to say "it ain't about how fast I get there, it ain't about what's waiting on the other side, it's the climb!" Truer words have never been spoken. Look folks, this trip is not about that "goal" we have set. It just isn't. This trip is about a metamorphosis. It's about changing you, who you are and what you do. It is about your attitude towards food, exercise and all matters health related. It is about how you handle stress and situations that typically would trigger an over eating binge. It is about finding new ways to think about food, about finding new ways to deal with stress without food as that ever present "rescuer". You aren't really aiming for the "goal" you have set, you are aiming for the new behavior you develop while GETTING TO THAT GOAL!!! Hey I have many times lost weight, I never developed the new habits, the new attitudes. I let the goal be the end all be all. Once I got there, I was done. Yay me. I was concentrating on the wrong thing, I was thinking about what was on the other side of the mountain, not the trip to get there and the valuable lessons learned. I may have made it to the other side, but I didn't get to stay there. That my friend will be the change I make on this trip. I will pay attention to the journey, no matter how long it takes to get there. I will take knowledge from my travels that will make getting to the destination great, but I will always remember the climb from now on.

I totally got my 5k in this morning. I was on fire! It was another day of Zoom Zoom for Shane! I have decided that tomorrow, I am going to get another in and this time I will finish it rather than crapping out at the half way mark. I felt so energized after the walk and I got alot done today

A great thing happened to me today. I follow a very nice lady named Michele , and she said something that made me feel so good! I know the blog is supposed to be mostly about me, but I really want other people to take something from this. I want people to go "man that fat guy is doing it, no reason I can't ". I want to hopefully inspire someone, to make their journey either get started or make it a little easier for them when they encounter a bump in the road, a road block, or any other difficulty. Well Michele posted a few blogs she had gotten some inspiration from during the past week. I made that list and I was so honored and proud to have done so. Thanks so much Michele. It meant the world to me to know that.

I have had a great eating day! Kathy is really starting to take notice and get on board with this lifestyle change. We had all low cal, healthy meals today and it was so nice. I am pretty sure I was in a negative net calorie range for at least until after lunch! I burned more calories during my walk than I at at breakfast, then I push mowed part of my yard too, and that was that much more burned. I may not have gone into a positive net balance of carbs until 2 o clock or so! Kathy finally found those pitas that Sean likes so well at our Wal Mart. Sean is quite right, they are invaluable! Great calorie value, great taste and very versatile. I highly recommend them.

I need to get off here and find a snack to finish the day out. I plan on looking around at some of my blog friends blogs and seeing what they are up to. I hope that they are able to come read mine as well today and take a little something from it. So ya'll keep on inspiring me, and I will try to do the same for you!!




4 comments:

  1. It is the journey! Because you could get to your goal and still be unhappy, unless you learned something significant along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane, this was a GREAT post! You're right...it's not about "the goal" it's about the journey. I think I'm FINALLY getting that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're doing well today and enjoying the end of the weekend. You're doing great, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post.

    It sounds like you're motivating the most important people in your life. It's great if you motivate some of the rest of us, but man, to motivate your lady and that child? THAT is where it's at my friend!!!

    Keep climbing the mountain. Look down once in a while to remember where you've been. Look up and know you can reach the top.

    ReplyDelete