Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 19 A Bit of a Scare

In a bit of a funny twist, I discussed how my attitude about food has changed in yesterday's blog, and for an example, I used pizza as an imaginary subject. I said something to the effect of I like pizza still but instead of 5 pieces, I can enjoy three or maybe even two. Well Lauren's Girl Scout troop is having a camp in tonight. I went to hang out with the girls and was unaware that pizza would be the main course until earlier today. So I set about saving up some calories to have pizza. I was pretty hungry all day, which I will cover in a bit, so I had been snacking on pickles and carrots and jalapenos all afternoon, so by the time I got home, I was still hungry and needed to eat some yogurt as Kathy had told me it would be late before the pizza got there. So I originally was trying to save enough calories for three pieces, but eventually got to the point two was going to be the limit. So I went and guess what, I had two pieces despite the rationalizer in me saying "Shane, you could go ahead and leave your bank at 2000 and have another piece, move the bank to 1800 tomorrow". I fought and won against a "Shane rationalization" that made a good argument!! It goes back to what Sean says, you have to be prepared to fight like your families life is at stake! And in my case, it kinda is in a different sense. So I am on cloud nine right now as I type this!! Yeah!!!!

So on to my "scare". I am a type 2 diabetic which I have come to kinda find out is you just got yourself fat and now are diabetic until you lose weight. So I have been taking glucophage for quite some time now and just a few months ago, the doctor put me on another medication to get more insulin made so my blood sugar would go down faster. I have been taking my blood sugar regularly lately. I usually do not because I know it is high and I don't want to know that. It would make me realize I am an idiot for not taking care of it. So a couple of days ago I dug out my meter and began taking my sugar again. Well it has leveled off to normal levels now!! I took it first thing yesterday morning and it was 118 and first thing this morning and it was 111! I usually wake up at 200 something, or 140 on good days I have been dieting. And last night, a couple of hours after supper, it was an astounding 84!! Today, I was kinda tired starting around 10 in the morning and it just kept building on itself. I got to the church where the girls are staying tonight and just felt like crud generally, in fact bad enough I was worried. So I pushed through and was helping out with the stuff they needed me to do. I finally sat down and really started to feel crappy then. I was tired, having trouble thinking, a little agitated. I just figured it was me wanting to be at home watching tv. Well the pizza finally arrived and I had my two pieces I budgeted out for. I am here to tell you within 15 minutes, it was like night and day! I felt fine, not sleepy or grumpy or any other problem I was having. I am speculating because I didn't have my meter with me to check it, but I wonder if I need to see the doctor about taking me off some of my medicine. I did check my blood sugar when I got home, about an hour after eating and it was only like 129 and usually for a couple of hours after I eat, it runs around 180 or better, so I suspect my blood sugar got low on me. I will have to keep an eye on it. I don't need to worry like that again! Wouldn't that be neat if I could get myself taken off some medications because I, by the Grace of God, was smart enough to start eating better and exercising? Hallelujah! wooo!

Well I better sign off. I am waiting for the call to go get Lauren from Tania, her step mom. I sure will be glad to see that little runt! I will catch ya'll tomorrow and until then, keep on inspiring me and I will try to do the same for you.

4 comments:

  1. "I fought and won against a "Shane rationalization" that made a good argument!!"

    That's outstanding Shane! It's life-changing! Wow...way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I would talk to your doc about your blood sugar. I need to eat about every 3-4 hours. If I don't eat I get light-headed, then I will get a headache, then comes on nausea. Low blood sugar is my culprit. I almost fainted in Target the other day because I had waited 7 hours between meals. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have low blood sugar, too, and I need to eat a little something every 3 hours or so. If I do crash, it's difficult to come back. Usually I just have to sleep it off. Good job with the pizza!

    Shane, I left you a nice comment on yesterday's post that never got through. I did have trouble the first time and then came back and re-posted it. It's still not there. Oh well, I'm sure I'll dream it up again another time.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing some of your story about being a diabetic.I know I am at high risk, too. I agree, time to check with your doc. Congrats on having overall more stability in your blood sugar numbers. You will figure out why you felt so sluggish. I bet it is because of your healthier eating. I too am counting calories and banking for favorite foods. Have a great week end!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete