Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 71 How Can This Be?

Once again, I got busy on Friday and am posting on a Saturday morning. I remember when I was 'sit around Shane' and that would never have happened! Haha.

So day 71 was a good one. I got some homework done. I really am getting senioritis guys. I just need to get this LSAT taken and get into law school where rather than taking things I give not one rip about, I have only classes that are about what i want to do for a living! But it all will come with time. I just need to work on being patient about it.

I am having an issue that I believe I have seen just about all of us talk about on our blogs. I spoke to Kathy about it today and it just keeps coming up for me. I have clearly lost weight. Apparently my physical form has changed fairly significantly. I can't put on my 3X shirts anymore with out seeing them hanging oddly on me, can't tuck my polos in enough to make them look ok, my 40 inch waist slacks all look weird on me, etc. Or for that matter, my steering wheel test where I stack my hand on each other and slide them between my belly and steering wheel to see if I can get both between without hitting the steering wheel, it is impossible to do know as the gap has widened so far I can no longer even MAKE my belly pooch out to touch the steering wheel. So how is it that when I look in a mirror, when I see myself in a picture, when people tell me how crazy it is that I lost so much weight so fast, I just don't REALLY see it in my mind's eye? I look in a mirror at least 10 times a day, and I see it but I don't "see" it. Does that make any sense? And thinking back, in 2000-2001 I knew I had lost a lot of weight, but I never made the mental adjustment. One of the things i used to think is when I get skinnier, I am gonna just make myself more confident with women and get me a girl. I was skinny back then, but in my head, still that fat shy guy that could never hit on an attractive woman! So I have to wonder, when I do get thinner, and when I have maintained it for several years, even then will my mind accept it? I mean as is often the case with these weight loss efforts with me and a lot of the bloggers I have read, our successes in the past have been short lived, so who really has an accounting of such question? Ok enough on that.

Saturday morning, I have a goal in mind. I am gonna try to get my 5k time down to 45 minutes. I got 47:30 last weekend. I may be shooting a little too far a little too fast, but that is how I roll. I will say this. My back is sore as all get out after the jump rope episode from Wednesday, so I make no promises, warranties or guarantees on that time!! Haha. One of my favorite blogger buddies, Christine has roped me into doing a 10k in December. I have to admit the very idea scared me when she asked me to participate with her. But the more I have thought about it, the more I like the idea. I have to admit I get a charge or some sort of spiritual lift out of spending the time out walk/jogging. It is some reflective time, it helps me get in sync with me. It also is when I feel the most aware of my body and how I am more in tune with it now. I was once told by a guy that our bodies are capable of so much more than our minds realize. It is often you that stops your body from reaching its potential. I believe he had it right. I was dead tired long before i stopped jogging on lap 5 last week. I got at least another 500 yards before I pooped out, but I wanted to stop long before that. So be mindful in your work outs. Just when you think you can't go anymore, dig a little deeper, see if you can't get two more reps, see if you can't go five more minutes on the treadmill/bike/pavement.

Okay I am gonna get off here and start practicing as I preach. Ya'll have a great weekend!

Oh wait, one more thing. We at the Hot 100 Challenge are trying to get just a few more people in it to try to get to an even 100. So click that link there and go check it out and see if you may be interested in doing this. Thanks!

11 comments:

  1. Hey Shane, why don't you post some "after" pictures up here so we can see what you look like now. Then when you see them on your blog side by side with the "before" maybe it will help it sink in. That along with all our "lookin good dude" comments. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Let's see some before and after pics.....

    You'e doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane, thanks again for the shout out!

    I think the way we see ourselves really takes some time to catch up to reality. I am just now finally beginning to appreciate my size, but I still sometimes thing of myself where I was when I started this thing. I would go so far as to say it is the greatest challenge for many of us.

    I agree with the others on the pics. Before/During pics are a real motivator for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going out for a walk right now too!! Well, you're jogging. Me, I don't know, but I'm in search of some outdoor reflective time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a long time my mind's eye actually saw a skinny guy, a positive projection of who I thought I was and when I saw photos of myself I would just cringe and look away.

    Then I met my darling girlfriend and I began to see myself the way she saw me, a big guy yes but deserving of love and esteem.

    Now I don't cringe at photos of myself and when I compare photos I can see the weight I put on and have recently taken off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent goal for the 5k! Can't wait until the next one so you can let us know how you do. My kids are doing a 5K in a few weeks, the little one is doing the 1K. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Just found you via the Hot 100. Sounds like you are rockin' this new lifestyle! Like several others mentioned, I too would like to see your progress pics. Oh, and I've read over some of your past posts. Seriously, giving up bread for the challenge is a great idea, but you said it's not ambitious. I must disagree with you on that. Giving up bread is major for most people (me included). That's amazing!

    Charlotte - www.fathairday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shane I'm still struggling with the self image. Yesterday I was sitting in my car and I looked down at my thighs and I had this weird feeling I was looking at someone else's legs because they were so small. It's weird, but I am sure we'll get used to ourselves eventually. I'm so focused on the things I can do and doing more faster and better that the way I look is secondary. You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is one that I find absolutely genuine and 100% inspiring. You take on what matters, say it like it is, and keep going! We need more people like you supporting our joint journey in healthy living and sharing it all in the blogosphere.

    That being said, I'm giving you the "A Blog with Substance" Award. Please stop by my blog to pick it up with specific instructions.

    God bless you on your path. I'll be keeping tabs on you, but please don't hesitate to call on me for support! We are all in this together.

    Many blessings,
    Becky
    from http://MyWalkFromFlabtoFab.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone else - post pics! Sometimes it's hard for your brain to notice things because they happen gradually. Post some before and now pics and I know you will see a difference. That will help.

    You are doing great btw. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shane,
    I am not down as much as you, but still down. I don't really see it yet, either. Different clothes sizes now, but I still see an image of a very fat person staring back at me. But here is what I think is also happening: as time goes on, I am noticing that I can do things easier (like the biking and hopping up the stadium stairs). My stamina is better, too. I think these SV and NSV are going to be the evidence that I need to see my image as thinner as the weight comes off. It was over 12 years that I was obese, so it will take a while for me to get used to my new image. You see, you will get used to teh new you and embrace your thinner Shane; give is a little time.

    ReplyDelete