Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 63 Look Forward by Looking Back

I had a great moment today. I was doing my morning walk around Wal Mart before work and one of the ladies that works in the meat department that has been kinda showing some interest in my walking stopped me and had a conversation with me. She asked how much weight had I lost and how many laps I walk and such. She finally asked me what kind of diet I was on and I explained once again, I am not on a diet, just watching what I eat and moving more. She seemed shocked that I ate what I wanted, just less of it and better choices. I could see a light come on when she said that she really likes candy bars though and just can't not eat a couple. I told her I eat a mini chocolate bar at lest two or three times a week. She asked how I do that and I explained that quite frankly, eating more of them don't make them taste any better, it only means you ate more calories. I just savor the one I have and enjoy it, rather than eating several mindlessly. She had an aha look on her face! I love that! I touched somebody and may have made a difference in their life. How cool would it be if that happened!

I came to a realization tonight. I ate some Subway and some Taco Bell because my schedule got a little crazy on me and I was hungry. Teh six inch sub at Subway was no cheese, no kind of condiment, just meaat and pickles, jalapenos, onions. 320 calories! Then after I was headed home, we stopped at Taco Bell and I had a Fresco Chicken Burrito and a flat bread sandwich. I do not like fast food anymore ya'll. I kept it under my calorie limit, and really none of it was unhealthy, but I just prefer my food non fast. How cool right?

I was thinking how I am kinda settled into a routine and doing well and kinda taking it for granted. I actually kinda got blase about it the other day. Folks, as much as anything else, this is a blessing to be doing the things we are doing. I mean to be on a path to a healthier lifestyle, making yourself a stronger, better, happier person... yeah those are all blessings. So my plan is this... I am going to block out some time this weekend and read every single day of my blog from beginning to end. I will read all the comments. I will take them all in and savor the flavor baby. I am gonna just remember where I was emotionally on my first day, the thrill of the first weigh in, the disappointment in my pizza epic fail. I am gonna read about my early days of walking, the days when I realized that I was getting faster, the first hike we took as a family the Silver Dollar City trip, all of it. It will be great!! I suggest that ya'll do the same. Take it in, see how far you have come. You should get a feeling of what it is going to be like in the future for you. You will see the strides you have made and realize the strides you are gonna take. All you have accomplished and all you can accomplish. Let's all meet back here on Monday and see how you feel.


8 comments:

  1. Way to go shane, You have made me think maybe i should reread my old posts and remeber how I felt when I was on top, help me get back that awesome feeling. Keep up the great work. You Inspire me everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Shane. I might join you in that idea of return to the past. Knowing where we've been reminds us of how we got where we are and where we are going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mine in a Word document just in case Blogger ever loses its memory. But I have never gone back and read from the beginning. I think I'll do it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and i'm sure an eye opener!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Day! Left you an award on my blog. :)
    Boomer Sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shane. I'm with you on the Fast Food thing. I really don't like it any more. I find my taste in food has really changed. Yesterday I ate a salad with no dressinig for the first time in my life. Last night I had an incredible yearning for grapes. I think once you flush all of the sugar and junk out you begin to want the real stuff! It's amazing.

    I enjoy your blog very much. You are doing so well.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a first time reader of your blog and I love that you're sharing bits of knowledge with the people you encounter on your daily walk. Little things we take for granted can help someone on a new path.

    Good luck and continued success on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great idea to go back and read all your posts. We have come along way, buddy, and it feels so good. It is not just that I can smooth down the shirts or hop on my bike, it feels good because I know that I have finally taken the time to invest in me and to be kind to me. That is what you are doing too. It feels really, really good.

    I am so glad that Walmart person and you had the opportunity to talk. So many people have no idea (I sure didn't) that you can eat soem of your favorte fooods on this calorie budget and lose weight. Maybe she will start blogging, too! Have a great reading weekend! Go Vikes!

    ReplyDelete