Thursday, April 14, 2011

Remember When?

I had one of those days yesterday. Remember when? Remember when you would just give in to every urge and not even put up a fight? Oooooh look, Burger King. Man a burger sounds good. I am gonna hit this drive thru real quick. Heeeeey, I love those McRibs, and they are back! I should get one right now! I know supper was good, and I ain't really even hungry, but there is an 8 pack of hot dogs in the fridge with my name on it! I am so totally gonna take Friday, Saturday and Sunday to do just absolutely nothing but watch tv and putter around on the internet!

I did all those things and on a regular basis. I am not proud of it. But it is what it is. I got started thinking about it yesterday morning. I went out for my run and I realized at the 2 mile mark that I hadn't even hit the stage where I was being challenged by the jog. I was breathing fine, I was not fighting tired legs, I was not mentally trying to figure out how to finish out, I was just doing it. Just like Nike tells me to. And all that brought to mind the day I started adding the movement movement (funny huh?) to my journey. I even vividly remember my first foray. I decided to walk a mile around my block that morning. I also remember vividly how shocked I was that only half way around the block, and halfway up the long sloping hill on the other side of my block, that I was not only tired, but sore already. My back was killing me! I eventually conceded that a 1/2 would suffice for the day and went home to lick my wounds. But it was a blessing. I am that guy that takes a challenge. I live my life for challenges it seems. I love to prove that I can do "that" whatever that may be. So I set out to get myself in better shape and I think I have done a good job of it. I am also pretty proud of how dramatically I have changed my eating habits. I have all but taken restrictions off for maintenance mode, but the habits I gained while in loss mode have stuck. My calorie intake is higher, but the quality of food is so much higher, and I don't let myself get out of control calorie wise. I was just on a very restricted calorie count before. going from 1500 to 2000-2200 calories is actually a lot believe it or not!

I have always preached that no matter what strides you make in this journey, never ever let them become commonplace. Always always always remember how awesome each achievement is, and always treat it with the same awe as the first time you realized that you had achieved it. I have had the same amazement at my two mile mark realization many many times, and plan to keep on having it. I love that feeling!



3 comments:

  1. Love this post--and you're looking amazing my friend, wow. I remember when--oh boy, do I ever...right there with you in that drive-thru...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so great! And you are right that it is very important to remember our achievements.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so great! I have been missing from the land of the blogger for a while so I had to go back and read your previous posts. Congrats on the great Drs visit, the need for new shoes, the closet cleaning, etc...oh, and onederland!!!

    ReplyDelete