Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 130 The School Bus

Monday Monday! Only one more day of work and I am so off for 5 days! wow! Needed that.

Ok, I am betting this NSV I am about to disclose is common to all of my bloggy buddies. I could be wrong. Let's see.

So I don't work on Fridays, so I take Lauren to school and head either back home or to Wal Mart for work. I drive right by 2/3's of the schools in Van Buren and typically at some point, I get caught behind a bus somewhere. So I got stuck behind one on Friday. I always get a little nervous behind those things when there are kids in the back seat. And I bet each and every one of you knows why. That fear. The fear that these kids, who can do pretty much whatever they want, noticing you and making gestures or writing rude notes and putting them in the window for you to read, etc etc. As a fat person, you are fair game. I have gotten all the common ones, the monkeying a fat guy, blown up cheeks, "hey fatty!" on notebook paper. Yeah. So as an instinct, I braced myself for something to be thrown my way. Then I remembered by Arvest Bank drive thru experience, how I saw my self in the camera image, and I wasn't that guy anymore! Suddenly, I was excited once again about my progress! I didn't have to put up with kids with the ultimate anonymity harassing me, attacking my self confidence, devaluing me because I am fat. It is great!

Anybody else have stories like that? Let's hear them!



5 comments:

  1. Enjoy every bite and don't think about the others watching! Your food and your eating is your business and God's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my teaching, I talk a lot about health and obesity. I have always been worried that I will have zero credibility with my students because of my own obesity. I have come out to them about how I am taking care of myself, although I do not go into details. But, I use myself as an example of what not to do. Believe me this is hard. But harder was the feeling that what I said about health and food was not credible because I was no example. I still shrink some when I use the "O" word, but it is getting easier. So, not directly related to your bus incident, but close.

    Thanks for for gracious "welcome home!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to think of the same type of example in my life but can't come up with one. I guess that's good. In my life, I've always been the one who's been the meanest to me. My self-talk used to be really horrible. I'm working on that!

    I'm glad you had this NSV. Nobody's laughing at you now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of a thing either and yesterday I was stuck behind a bus for several stops! I also have never encountered any rude customer service or persons- maybe I'm in my own little world but I do shop a lot LOL. I have to admit sometimes I take a sneak peek at people's grocery carts or what they have on the conveyor belt...I'm just curious though and they could be a perfect 10. I'm not prejudiced! Tomorrow will be my big baking day with the grandsons- it's really fun to be a granny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shane, glad you have 5 days off, enjoy! Loved your story. I can't say I have ever felt this but one common one for me is the checkout line - the stares and glares I feel from people looking at what I am buying. I am so glad to say now my basket is full of mostly healthy foods with a few snaps for the kids, I don't care what people think because I know I am doing the right things!

    ReplyDelete