Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 128 Dawne Tagged Me


So Dawne, one of my favoritest bloggers, tagged me for the Honest Scrap Iron award. I am to write 10 honest things about myself then tag four more bloggers. I am not sure I am up to the challenge, but I will take a whack at it.

1. I have had a whale of a family life and often wondered how I turned out relatively "normal" I was adopted twice, the second time by my birth mother, suffered physical and mental abuse, never really knew any amount of my family throughout my adolescence. I did however have a absolutely AWESOME network of friends and their parents, which I do credit with keeping me out of the trouble I could have been getting into.

2. I really am pretty smart. I maintained straight A's through the 11th grade in high school, but my senior year, I checked out. I ended my tenure with a 2.75 GPA after failing every class I did not need to graduate from high school my senior year. I also missed out on a scholarship to college over that mess.

3. I screwed up several opportunities over the years to go back to school and I blame that on my love of money. I got "good paying" jobs out of high school and partied my money away rather than saving it for school.

4. I have always been very very fortunate in the friends department. I make very good friends and we always support each other through thick and thin. I may not have had great ties with my biological family, but my friends have been all the family I have ever needed many times.

5. I wish I could be musical! Nothing else in the world touches me more than a great drum solo, a soulful piano, or a mean electric guitar riff! I think if I had to choose and could be great at one instrument, it would be the piano. So many styles of music sound good on a piano. You can rock it out, you can touch hearts with a classical style, you can church it up with some worship music, the piano is just so versatile!

6. Being in a good marriage is everything I thought it could be and more! I spent much of my life chasing the wrong girl, and luckily, God didn't let me catch any of them for too long. I had this dream of a great marriage, and knowing what I know of those girls now, I am thankful God made me wait for Kathy!!

7. Being a parent, even if it is a step dad, is so rewarding! It has its frustrations too, but the rewards far outweigh the challenges! I love Lauren McGill so much and to see her grow and transform over the past 4 years has been and honor and a blessing that I cannot express how happy it makes me to have.

8. I am an uber confident person, and sometimes that bothers me. I don't like cocky people, and I am never verbal about my confidence in my ability to do various things, but I still feel like I should be more humble. I struggle with thinking that it is ok, heck even a good trait to be confident, but I just don't want to get too big for my britches.

9. I am getting a bald spot on the back of my head, and I don't care. I have a luscious full head of hair when I grow it out, but that one bald spot. I get grief from Kathy and Mom about it, but the thing is, I don't care. I have said more than once, if I go bald, it is one less thing I have to worry about!

10. This journey, this wonderful weight loss journey, is an answered prayer from God. I am so thankful. I am already leaning on Him to answer my second prayer related to weight loss, maintenance. He has already touched my heart with a word about maintenance. God has told me I need to be just as excited about my achievements in maintenance as I have been in loss. That is such a great idea! I think that is where the day counting will come in. I am going to give myself a 5 pound range to stay within in maintenance, and celebrate every day I stay within that range!

So there you have it folks, the ABC's of me. I am not fo' sho' who I am going to tag yet. I may take a page from Dawne and ponder it for a day or two.

In regular news, I had an huge success tonight. Kathy and I ate at our favorite mexican restaurant tonight. I ordered the taquitos with chicken in them and a salad, pico de gallo, and guac on the side. When the plate arrived, it was in portions of food that in the past, I would have scoffed at and proceeded to order a la carte so I could have enough food. Tonight, those portions looked normal to me! That was a great feeling specifically because I needed to be successful outside of the home, where I control the portions of food I eat. Oh happy day!




5 comments:

  1. We do stupid things when we are younger. I wish I would have put up 1/4 of what I made and I would be very happy right now...oh well, live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know if you seen this post or not Shane but I thanked you for motivating me to work harder this weekend. Thanks I appreciate the push. The post is here http://nevertheskinnygirl.blogspot.com/2010/11/losing-my-fire.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane, I am so glad you shared this. I love reading more about what makes the bloggers I follow who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all that personal stuff. I really enjoy getting to know people I read. My bloggy friends and I do mean friends. You inspire so many people and I love to hear how happy you are.

    ReplyDelete