Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Thing About Workouts

Good Fat Tuesday folks! Hope everybody does something fun before Lent! As for me, I will keep cruising along working 8 hours and school for three. Should be a hoot!

So after yesterdays post, as per usual, I went and hopped on the treadmill for my morning workout. I don't have a set schedule of what days I do what workouts, but as a general rule, I try to do a really strenuous workout on Monday, little less on Tuesday, hit it hard on Wednesday again since I take Thursday off the treadmill, then Friday I usually go for distance, Saturday is 3 miles or more, and Sunday is kind of a get a good workout in but not too hard. One thing I have noticed lately is that I keep pushing myself a little farther and harder every week. Now, I am sure we have all had those workouts where we just kill it and don't even hardly feel the effects of it at all! Those are some very uplifting times, no doubt about that. It is great to see your efforts pay off and to show that guy you were six months ago that avoiding working out was stupid! Look at me now! But ultimately, I have found that those days that I am struggling through my workout, like the days I decide to crank up the speed a little or do the incline a little longer intervals, and I am really just trying to survive the new challenge, when I do survive and finish, those are the more satisfying workouts. I had a heck of a time finishing up yesterdays workout. I was literally trying every mind trick in the book to keep my going rather than turning down the incline or the speed. That may be the biggest thing I love about jogging outside without the treadmill, I don't have to look at numbers for the whole half hour or whatever amount of time I jog. I just drift off into my own little world and come back when I have reached my distance goal. But back to subject. So when I was done yesterday, I was so pleased with myself that I have conquered the guy that said "this is hard, so screw that!" from July of last year. I have been thinking and I have an addictive personality. It is my character flaw, and how I got so fat to begin with. I think my love of working out stems from the fact that I get an endorphin high every day! I am addicted, that is why I push a little more and a little harder so regularly. I think that this addiction may be much healthier for me though... haha.

I have been chronicling the fact that my train pulling in to One-derland has presented some challenges to me in the eating department. I am find during the day, it is the evening times I have been struggling with snacking. I have been conscientious of the problem and I think I have come up with my new method of battling it. I never mindlessly eat anymore, when I make a bad choice, it is at the forefront of my mind, I just choose to do it anyway. So last night, I was cruising along just fine, when I got the urge again. I did make my way to the kitchen, and I did open the fridge, but I suddenly thought "hey stupid, I am not going to law school as a lard ass, forget this!" It totally worked! I think I have a new mantra to help me in my new journey to 185 pounds! I had to use it again about a half hour later and voila! Once again, I strengthened a new habit! Yaaaay! Do ya'll have any tricks you use to combat the urge to snack?



3 comments:

  1. Make a rule that you don't eat standing up. That way you won't just grab a handful of pretzels and pop them into your mouth. It makes you think about it more.

    I am looking forward to walking outside too. The treadmill bores the death out of me and I have to use mind tricks to stay on their as well. I find myself rationalizing against it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto about the treadmill; we had one 20 years ago and I sold it for a pittance when I moved to Florida. I never did master the art of reading while walking. As for snacking, I just don't buy them or keep them out of sight. Really- no one needs unhealthy snacks in the fridge or pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that little tag line - I'm not going to law school as a lard ass. It made me laugh out loud. You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete