Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Overshadowing Myself

I was thinking yesterday afternoon on my drive home and I have had this weird phenomena going on in my life here lately. I keep creating goals, and before I ever get that goal accomplished, I have set another goal, so that once I do get to the first goal, I am already fully involved in the chase for the new goal, and do not give the fact I have attained the first goal its due justice. For example, when I went back to school, my only goal was to get an Associate Degree and go be a paralegal somewhere. Before I ever got finished with that goal, I had already determined I needed to get a Bachelors Degree. So when time came for my graduation ceremony for my Associates, I had to be threatened by my wife and mom to convince me to walk for it. I seriously had decided that the Associates wasn't my end goal, so why acknowledge it? I am starting to have the same problem with my Bachelors Degree coming up. I am a little more than a month away from finals, and a month and a week from graduation, and I just can't get excited about it because I have been accepted to law school. Will I be excited? Yeah I guess, I will be the first person in my family to get a college degree. I really was focused hard and happy that the degree was coming down the pike up until I got the law school notice, and now, it is just kind eeehhhh to me. I think that new goal setting is important, it keeps us from stagnating, but I don't know that not properly acknowledging the achievement of the first goal is a good or healthy thing. For instance, I lost a 100 pounds! I am happy and grateful, but that wasn't my end goal, I want to get to 185. I want to get a flat belly, I want to run a half marathon now. So 100 pounds lost, got a day I guess, but now I have a whole new set of goals. I have to wonder, what happens when I get these goals? I know one thing, law school had probably better be the end of the line for my school goals, cause Kathy is likely to kill me if I go into a Masters program or shoot for a PhD! She has taken it on the chin every time I tell her I decided to go a step further in my education, so I am thinking any further will result in my bodily harm!

do ya'll find yourself not properly giving the achievement of your goals their just deserts? I am going to start working on making a bigger deal out of goal achievements and for an appropriate amount of time. Starting with my Bachelors graduation I think. I am putting my law school excitement on the back burner today and I am going to be joyfully anticipating the conferral of a Bachelors Degree right now!



2 comments:

  1. Shane you sound like my ex-wife, who is a great friend of mine. She has been going to school all her life, LPN School, RN school, Bachelor's in Nursing, Masters In Nursing and then last month just passed her test and became a Nurse practitioner. Nothing wrong with self-improvment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do it. I hit the bar and then raise it a notch. It keeps me pushing forward.

    ReplyDelete