Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 157 Sundays Are My Fun Days

I can think of a multitude of reasons I love me some Sunday. It is the day for rejoicing in the Lord, there is NFL on tv, I typically have fewer activities planned on Sundays. But here lately, it has also turned into my day of physical achievements.

As you recall, two Sundays ago, I walked 10 miles straight through for the first time ever. Then last Sunday, I jogged a 5k straight through for the first time ever. Well today, I jogged an hour straight and wound up at 4.2 miles in that hour. I also finished out the workout by walking until I reached 5 miles. Here is the part I like the most about my workout though. When I reached the 3.1 miles for the 5k, I got all excited that I had done it in 44 minutes and 20 seconds and started doing a victory dance of sorts.

I think those of you who watch football will get this. One thing I have always admired about the athletes in the NFL is how obvious their core strength is. And it is more evident than ever when they are running away from a great tackle or a great run and they are high stepping and scrunching their body down at the same time. I was doing that today on the treadmill! I was doing it subconsciously, not even thinking about it! Then I realized that I was doing it and got even more happy about my workout!

I have gotten in so much better shape in my core that it is not even funny. When I am sore, it is even more evident how much more muscular my trunk is. Oh and I hadn't mentioned this, but now, I can feel my ribs on my side all the time!! If I need to scratch, there they are. If I just feel like poking them, there they are. AAAAAANNNNNNNDDD Lauren was giving me a hug the other day, and her head hit my sternum. She said what is that? I told her that was my sternum and she was like really? Nobody else I hug has that. Kinda humorous huh? And lastly, and I just noticed this today, don't know how long it is that this has been the case, but my love handles are gone! I hadn't even paid a bit of attention to that until it just happened to catch my eye today while I was measuring my belly, which by the way has shrunk from 53 inches around my belly button to 44 1/2 inches!

Quite a Sunday folks, if I do say so myself. I have two more Sundays left in this year, and I am going to make the best of both. I went back to check my Hot 100 goals that I originally set because I couldn't remember what my 5k time goal was. It was to get a 5k in under 40 minutes. I jogged at 4.2 miles an hour today and it never really challenged me to the point I was worn out, so next week, I am shooting for that goal! I think if I can jog at 4.5 miles an hour, I should be able to get at or below 40 minutes in a 5k! That would be so awesome. And I think it would go a long way towards getting to my goal of 210 by New Years Eve!! Ya'll be sure and say a prayer for me that I can get these goals accomplished and have a wonderful last two weeks of 2010! And I will give you the same courtesy by praying that each of my bloggy buddies finishes strong this year and makes the transition into a new year as the best you that you can be!


2 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Awesome is 1)how great of a Sunday you had, 2)how fantastic you are doing and now looking too and 3)how motivated and inspired your most has made me. Good for you Shane and good for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a funny sternum story. My husband actually went to the Dr. when he felt a lump in the middle of his chest while losing weight. Yup, you guessed it, his sternum! :)

    Medicine ball sit ups are great for strenghtening the core and also pilates. I love having a strong core too.

    ReplyDelete