Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why Didn't I Think Of This Before?

Sometimes, you need to plan. It is hard to go through life and just "play it by ear" all the time. Sometimes you have to say "I am going to do this then" and then go do it and make it stick. That is how I got started on getting up early and exercising. I got up at 4 got my caffeine fix and then "just did it" Nike style. Well, lately, the getting up early has not been working for me in various areas of my life. I won't get into it, but it just hasn't made for good times. So I decided that I was going to make it a point to find a way to get my exercise in but maybe break it up into two sessions. One in the morning and one in the evening. I am out of school now and don't have that obligation at night. But even if I did, just a little commitment would take care of it. But anyway, on to the point. I decided that I was going to start getting some cardio or weight lifting at night. I want to get up a little later and stay up a little later than I have been. So yesterday morning, I lifted weights and committed myself to doing some cardio when I got home last night. I had Quorum Court, but it wrapped up fairly early last night and it was still daylight when I got home, so I grabbed my jump rope and headed to the back deck. Lauren followed me and for the next twenty minutes, we took turns seeing who could jump rope the longest and do the best trick jump roping. I won the first hands down, but the second Lauren ran away with. Then she asked to go for a jog around the block with me. I of course obliged and we took off. I taught her a lesson on pacing herself and we had a good time! I am hoping to rope Kathy into some sessions like that, so we can make getting more active a family activity and we all benefit from it. Again, why didn't I think of this before? And the unexpected benefit from the change. Not one urge to snack last night! I didn't sit down until after 8 and it was a great feeling to not once sit and think about getting up to snack! I can see the advantage to this change!



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to get the family fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise **AND** family time?? Yikes, that sounds like a total win-win scenario! Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent plan! That's what I am trying to do, do more WITH the family! Weather is finally nice enough to go on walks and be outside more. Good for you. Get Kathy out there with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete