Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Prodigal Son

I hate to bring my former weight loss success back up as I said I was trying to get amnesia. But today, I saw a modern day version of the prodigal son parable but instead of a dad welcoming his son home, it was my friends welcoming me back to the world of fitness. Me and a bunch of my friends from church went out to a trail here locally to get a run in. Now here is the thing. I am 5'7", weigh 270 pounds, and I am not in shape. All my friends are accomplished runners. They all knew that I was going to be the trailer. And despite my best efforts to convince them I didn't deserve to be there, they continued to encourage me to come on!! And with a push from my wife, I agreed to do it. I was the prodigal son who had wandered away from a healthy lifestyle. I had let the world get the best of me and went back up the scale to a dangerous weight yet again.

But you know what, when I decided I was going to go back home, there were my friends there to wave at me and to plan a party to welcome me back. This trail run was just the thing I needed to really light a fire under my rear. We all agreed the trail running needed to be a regular event. So here is the deal, I can't keep being the trailer or I will feel like I let my family down. So now, whatever fire I had to get back in shape before today just got multiplied exponentially!! Thanks James, Casey, Bo, Anthony and Dustin (who was kind enough to keep me company today. Thanks for that bro). You guys are amazing and are a shining example of what the modern church should be doing!!

1 comment: