Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Go In Moderation, and Don't Go Home

I suppose the title probably needs some explanation. I am sure we have all heard the saying, "go big or go home." It is my contention that this attitude is part of what is wrong with our society nowadays. If you aren't going to blow everybody away with what you are doing, then don't do it at all. One of the things that I am sometimes amused by is the fact that when someone does decide they are going to help others, it can't be your neighbor next door, it has to be the whole town. Or a whole other country!! I am a victim of this mentality, just like everybody else. This year, I am shaking that attitude off.

In many ways this attitude tied into my mental state of being at war I talked about in my last post. I can't just clip along at a good pace solving a big problem with food and my laziness, I have to go to war and fight fight fight!! I have to work out till I drop, I have to starve myself, I have to eat just the right foods, no snacking, no junk food!! Hut, hut, hut!! Fire cannons now!!

So this year, I am not going big, and I am not going home. I will go in moderation and I will keep myself out there moving and achieving. I almost messed this up earlier this week, until my wife set me straight. I have a strong desire to get back into good running shape. It nags at me day and night. So a group of my friends from church are going on a trail run this Saturday, and they all know I want to get back into shape. Casey, Anthony and James all invited me and I declined saying that I was not in good enough shape to go. My thinking was that all these guys are in much better shape than I am and I am going to get out there and look like an idiot because they will all be waiting forever on me to finish. So I was talking to Kathy about it, and she flat out called me out. She said that I was just going to keep using that excuse and I will never get out there to get into shape. Wow, that was a bunker buster right there!!

So after our conversation, I started thinking. Ok, so I won't be as fast, but I will be faster than if I was sitting on the couch. I will also be taking a step towards my goal, albeit a wobbly step. But it is forward motion. I won't be fast, but I can be consistent. And if I am not fast but consistent in my workouts, then each week I can start pushing myself a little further, and I will get to my goal. I will have gone in moderation, and I won't get getting myself too sore for my next workout, so I won't be going home either.

Isaiah 40:31- Those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment