Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Not Another New Year Resolution Per Se

I know that often times on this day, folks stop and consider the areas of their life they feel are deficient, and so on New Year's Day, they resolve to do X to improve that area. Of course one of the most common is the health and fitness resolution. While I have no scientific data to prove it, I am guessing the percentage of success on those resolutions are low. So why bother to "resolve" to do it? Just do it. I chose to not wait until today to get back on the wagon for eating better and exercising. Now I have not been spot on great at it, and maybe I could use the typical sentiment of the day to boost my enthusiasm, but I am not New Year's day resolving to do it because I already got started. What I did use today for is to remember what all I am hoping to get done before the end of this year, by whatever means. I first and foremost want to get my 5k time back under a half hour. I then want to be able to complete a 10k, but the time goal is left open for now until I know more about what is a decent time on a 10k. And finally, before December 31st rolls back around, I want to have competed in a half marathon and my only goal for it right now is to finish! In the past, I was averse to running. In 2010, I found out that I was actually just averse to the effort it would take to become a runner, and that I was actually in love with running! So this year, I am uncovering the enthusiasm I have let get covered up over the past year, and I am going to get back to being a runner. Now that of course requires some ground work, such as eating better, and obviously some concentrated training to get back into running shape, but so be it. I am chasing my dream again!!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you succeed and cheering you on!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete