Sunday, January 11, 2015

Where Does The Common Sense Go?

If you are reading this, the odds are you, like me, are trying to effect a life style change. You are unhappy with your current weight and physical fitness. It also stands to reason that if you are in this subset of the blogging world, you are at least average, if not above average intelligence and looking for not only support, but to broaden your knowledge of what works and doesn't work by gleaning ideas from your peers. So to recap, we are smart but overweight/out of shape folks here.

Despite what all the fad diets and special drinks/food/supplements would have you believe, I think we all know that weight loss is by far the simplest math equation possible. Eat less calories + burn more calories= burn off excess fat/build lean muscle. Seriously, how much easier can it get? But how many times have we sat around, hacked off because we just upsized our shirt size, or got winded tying our shoes, but continued to stare at a tv/ipad/video game screen for hours? The most activity we got was getting up to go to the bathroom or get something to eat. How many times have we had something delicious to eat, and though we aren't hungry, we go get more? Because it was just that good. How many times have we had an hour to burn before some event, and made the decision that the only viable option was to stop for some food somewhere? All the while, our self loathing brewing beneath the surface.

I say all this, because this morning, I made me a sausage patty for breakfast. My wife used to make fun of me because I made hamburger sized sausage patties. I have managed to downsize them quite a bit in the past couple of months. But anyway, after I finished my sausage patty this morning, I thought man that was good! I SHOULD COOK ME ANOTHER! Now it is important to note that after eating, I wasn't hungry, not in the least. I just WANTED another couple hundred calories that would serve no purpose but to up my calorie count for the day! Granted, it was a fleeting thought, and I never acted on it because my common sense took over. I want to be thinner, and I won't get there by eating seconds when I am not even hungry!

But the question stands, when we are making terrible choices after deciding we are tired of being overweight and out of shape, where does our common sense go? How do we reason that sitting here rather than cleaning the house or doing yard work is the best course of action? How do we rationalize that I am not happy with where I am physically, but I will still have that second slice of cake or 5th piece of pizza when we know the math doesn't add up to what we state our goal is? Where does the common sense go?

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but smirk when I read about the sausage. Today is my unrestricted day so this morning I had a nice fresh bagel with peanut butter on it. It wasn't two minutes after I finished it before I decided to go make another one. Unlike you common sense didn't kick in!

    When I think about your question "Where does common sense go?" My opinion is that it doesn't go anywhere. Common sense tells me that I need to do certain things to lose weight but when I do those things that are counter to losing weight I know what the result will be; common sense is still there, just being overridden by poor impulse control (like this morning).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for me, I try to make better versions of food I enjoy. So I make a spice mix that I add to lean ground chicken or turkey for homemade breakfast sausage. And I add veggies to stuff. It lets me eat a fair volume of foods I enjoy, but in a healthier way! Good luck and take care! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Common sense is always there but unfortunately another voice just takes over at times ..... is it a I don't care voice - or what the heck voice ? Only the individual knows and has to come back to the decision I AM GOING TO DO THIS EVERY DAY, AND BE SENSIBLE.

    Wish you all the best in your journey - one day at a time but please stick to what you know is good sense

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete