Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 175 Heh Heh Heh, I Found It!!

So yesterday, I had a rough day on the exercise front. I just couldn't get motivated. If I am honest with myself, I knew it was coming down the pike. I just am not that guy, the guy that can just do the same thing over and over with no challenge to doing it. I have to be pushing myself, I have to have a goal to strive towards. I have to not be able to do what I want at first, so I can get to where it is I am trying to get. I need a journey. Well, I found my newest journey today! I have my new challenge and I think Dawne is going to give me an I told you so on it. I got up this morning and decided to replace the morning Wal Mart walks, with morning treadmill runs! So, I decided that just like with the walks, I have to have stepped goals. I started off walking 1 1/2 miles a day, at a reasonable pace, stepped up and up and up until I was able to do 4 to 5 miles a day at a hauling butt pace! So today, I decided I was going to jog at 5 miles an hour, and my distance goal was to get to 2 miles at that speed, then whatever was left over of a half hour, I would jog at 4 miles an hour. Yeah, turns out, that wasn't gonna happen. I pushed it to get to 1 1/2 miles at 4 miles an hour, had to turn down to 4 miles an hour up to 2 miles, then went to 3 miles per hour for the last 4 minutes and change. So, my new goal, for now, is to get to jogging the full 2 miles at 5 miles an hour with no breaks or slow downs. I am up to it, I am sure. And, at lunch, I alternate between Wal Mart and the local high school track for my walks, but now, I am going to start going to the local park which is close by to the office, and start walking that trail which is around a beautiful pond and has hills and curves and scenery and everything. Today, I did 3 laps at full speed, and it was great. I kept trying to slow down on the last lap so, but I just can't anymore. I have to go full speed no matter what. Weird how that has changed about me.

Changing gears a little, I have taken office. I am officially a Justice of the Peace, and have now attended one regular meeting and one Personnel Committee and one Budget Committee meeting, as well as a special Regular meeting. We have had an issue with buying out one of the outgoing chief deputies comp time and vacation time so the new person can be paid out of that slot. I have to admit, it has been a contentious issue, and I have already learned a few things. I am the voice of reason. I believe my role on the Quorum Court will be to make sure that everyone fully understands the issue by asking the right questions that most are afraid to ask for fear of looking stupid or for lack of concern, whichever the case may be. And I have concluded that I am for sure, no doubt about it, cut out for public service. I am 5 days in, and I love it. I love that the people in District 2 of Crawford County elected me. I love that I care enough to get all the facts before I vote on appropriations and ordinances, I love that I am able to be the voice of the people. It really is an awesome feeling. I wish everybody had the opportunity to feel it, but then that would be not too efficient now wouldn't it?



3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the JofP! I wonder when your first wedding will be.

    I'm so happy that you are challenging yourself with running. It is truly remarkable how quickly it is to see progress with the running. I loved that you needed to go full speed ahead. I can't wait until you're talking about your first race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOOO happy to read that you are going to walk in the park around the curves and enjoy the scenery! Excellent, Shane, you justice of the peace, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that I have said it here before Shane, but I've got to say it again...I love your enthusiasm...for everything. I love how you talk about walking and now jogging. Even your excitement about the new Justice of the Peace position. You have a great zeal for life and it is contagious.

    ReplyDelete